You are all witnesses.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thoughts

I like to think of myself as a sports writer who has occasional opinions about life. I guess today is one of those days where I'll step into my social commentary role. Can you dig it?

Life is full of choices. There are times when we as people come to a fork in the road and must choose which way we'll travel. For better or for worse we choose our own path. The ability to choose is, in and of itself, a virtue. Some lack the ability to reason between the better of multiple options. It takes a man or a woman of character to look at situation as it is and decide what suites them best.

So what happens when we don't choose wisely? What happens when the path we travel is the wrong one? What happens when we realize we can't escape our actions?

We suffer.

We suffer as a result of our proceedings. Sometimes we feel hurt or disappointed. At other times we do those very things to other people. I learned some time ago that energy is never lost. It's simply transferred. When I give out pain that person in turn gives out distrust and cynicism, either to me or to another person. Either way that Energy is being exchanged. I've started a cycle of dysfunction that is indefinite. Sadder still that negative vitality I passed out will be repaid to me. It's karma baby, what you reap you will sow. Know that what you give out, you'll most surely recieve.

Matters of the heart and soul cannot be taken lightly. As men and women we often find ourselves in a position where doing what's best for me may come at the expense of someone else. We must tread lightly.

We must tread lightly because when I use you for my gain you will inevitably come to feel the loss. When I take for an indefinate time the source of my taking will eventuallybecome depleted. Eventually I'll have to give. In time I'll have to become the source of something instead of the taker of it. That realization is one that is not always met with enthusiasm. With giving comes a level of openess, dare I say vulnerability. If I open up to you then you can take from me what you will. You may not be grateful, you may not be thankful, hell you may be downright abusive. The harsh reality is that nothing in life is guarenteed, least of all a persons intentions or actions. At times we may at times be disapointed. There is a way to avoid these uncertainties, trust me I know.

Run.

Run as fast as possible from the situations, circumstances, and people that pose the most ardent of problems. Instead of being vulnerable, be stealth. Running does ease your mind. It does address your problems. It does make you feel better..... for a moment.
As hard as you try you cannot escape the situations you create for yourself. Every man and woman is accountable.

Again, life is full of choices.

Just as easily as you chose a path, suffered in its wake and ran from its results you can do better. We live in a world where change is possible. None of us are slave to uniformity. The mature person examines his shortcomings and makes himself the better as a result. In the solitude of suffering he finds strength. He endures. Instead of running he stays and commits himself to providing answers to each and every question that may arise.

Making this life one worth living is a series of quality decisons. Hopefully this helps your process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truth..
Man.. I was thinking the other day about choices that I have made..
..choices that I thought were the "right" ones for me, but turned out to be mistakes.. It is true that we can turn mistakes into something useful because we all learn from none other than our mistakes. It's about how you look at the situation. This post made me think about what I have been doing.. I keep wondering how the hell I keep ending up with these damn Food Service jobs.. I keep putting myself in situations where I just accept whatever I'm given instead of going for what is mine. . .what I deserve, or at least feel I deserve. If not, you will get that one opportunity, whether it be obvious or in disguise, to do what you are destined to do. For a change to come, a sacrifice must be made. If I want to focus more on my music, my writing, and go back to school like I mention so often.. I must make some sacrifices. Times will not always be good, but you must witness the rather of the storm to see the sun shine. I guess this calls for a change at work, because you telling me about how you now have more time to devote to writing and the opportunities and things that have come your direction motivate me and inspire me to follow and do what I love.. I have to break the circle. You get what you ask for, and up to now I have asked for nothing.. so guess what I got?